Stitching Words Together

My occasional blatherings

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I'm the married mom of two, a boy 21 and a girl 17. Knitting is what I do to stay sane.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Gotta Be Starting Something

Just got back from the nutritionist. Seems like a nice lady. Easy to work with and not unreasonable. For one thing I have to eat three meals a day. Big surprise. I'm supposed to have a starch and a protein at each meal to help me feel full and I'm to have two snacks too. Lots of veggies, fruits and lean meats. The starches are supposed to me limited in size and whole grains as well. There's more to it than this but that's the gist of it. Generally your classic balanced diet. I have to exercise, take a vitamin, and drink water all things I also don't do. Now the interesting thing is that I knew I needed to do all of this so why did I have to pay someone to tell me? Who knows. It's like I needed it to be official. I'm a compulsive overeater and I need an outsider to lay it out for me. I can't do it myself. Now please, don't tell me to go to OA. I've been there and it's just not for me. People in OA just whine too much and frankly I don't think that someone who has a problem with food has the same issues as a person who has a problem with alcohol. So I don't see the steps working as well for an overeater as for an alcoholic. But OTOH, the principles of admitting you have a problem you are powerless over and that you need to stay on some sort of program to be straight that I agree with. So my nutritionist is my higher power and my program is my diet right now.

I'm going to go shopping this afternoon for all sorts of veggies and fruits and the like. Probably to my favorite market. The question is, can I stay away from the cheese counter? This place has the most amazing cheese counter you ever saw. Cheese from all over the world, all different types and styles. But I'm staying away because it's just too high in fat and calories. I'm sticking to the lower fat stuff for now. I suppose I can ask if they have any low fat cheese, but what would be the point? *Sigh* no goat cheese for me for the duration, or at least till I see the nutritionist again and ask about it.

I also have to exercise. I agreed to try 3x a week for 20 minutes. I can easily do more but I don't want to set myself up to fail so that's what I have as a goal. If I do more great. Got to walk before you run. We have an exercise bike in the house so it won't be hard to get the workouts in. Just me and my ipod I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home